Thursday, August 11, 2011

Green Therapy!

Ever get the feeling, there is far too much paper in your life except, it isn't the green kind? No? Well didn't your mother ever tell you to share? I accept cash and/or checks. Thanks.

Now where was I? Oh right! Too much paper epidemic. So, it's a little well know secret that I have the tendency of being a bit of a nerd. This means, in class I have this uncontrollable urge to jot down every single word uttered by my professors. Generally, one might assume that such dedication should prove quite useful in the long run, however what one may forget is that by the end of semester said dedication leads to an unhealthy stack of notes.

Point is, I might have an ever growing pile of notes that is destined to someday make it to the recycling bins. But since I'm eternally lazy and forgetful, the pile of notes simply sit on my shelf, growing and growing. Some days, when I am wasting away on the couch, I see the pile and I can almost hear them cry. Or maybe that is the neighbor's kid.

Anyway, so I finally decided I wanted to address this pile before next semester, but my lazy behind really didn't want to drive to the recycling bin. So I sat on the floor, holding my notes and pondered. After fidgeting, and arguing with myself over my own laziness, I had a light bulb moment.

*Biology notes = Paper flowers*


Here is what followed:


I'd like the think the pictures are pretty self-explanatory but I know I hate not having instructions so here you are:

1. Find scary stack of papers and separate one from the pack using a pair of scissors as a weapon.
2. Keeping the scissors in sight for intimidation purposes, fold the paper in half.
3. Cut the paper in half and show it whose the boss.
4. Fold each half into half again.
5. Fold both strips into half again.
6. Repeat process to the paper's buddies till you have plenty of strips.


7. Take one strip and fold the corner diagonally.
8. Begin to roll the strip, keeping it a bit tight.
9. Apply a bit of hot glue to the strip as you continue rolling. 
10. When you reach the end of the strip, turn it over and hot glue the bejesus out of the base.
11. Take a fresh strip and hot glue it to the rolled mess. Gently fold the strip as you roll.
12. Continue rolling, gently folding, and hot gluing till it looks more like a flower.


Tip: You can add as many strips as you like. There is no such thing as too much when u have a hot glue gun and conviction. You might feel like it looks a bit wonky at first but you'll get a feel for it after awhile. 

So there you are, paper flowers from biology notes. Because the world needs more paper flowers. Because it's therapeutic watching my biology notes being recycled into something I actually kind of like. 


The End

2 comments: