Monday, August 24, 2009

FarmVille stole my dignity

Yes I'm a facebook whore but that isn't the sad part. I also happen to be addicted to ‘FarmVille’. For those of you unaware, FarmVille is an application on facebook where you grow fruit and veggies, have farm animals and do other farm related things. As with any gaming application, the programmers strive to improve and make it as addicting as possible. FarmVille is no exception. The graphics are semi decent. There are cute animated animals from bunnies to horses. Then there are a variety of seeds, barns, cottages and even a green house. The game is entirely pointless and your aim is to gain lots of experience points to get to the next level. Each new level bears the temptation of new seeds or buildings or other useless farm type items.

Initially you needed X amount of neighbours to expand your farm. This requires you to coax your otherwise normal friends to play Farmville. The more neighbours, the more you can expand your farm and other little perks. This obviously meant I had to convince my friends to play with me. Very soon I had people addicted to the point where they were begging for free gifts.

As with any game, it loses its charm after awhile. Farmville is no different. So they tried adding little extra bits to make it appealing or so they think.

To clarify my point I present to you subject A:

Here you see a brown cow. These can only be adopted once a fellow farmer finds one. Once they are ready to be milked you click on them and the following options appear:

Chocolate milk? Seriously? Ohh so that’s how we get chocolate milk. From adopted brown cows! Mystery solved!

Subject B:

As you can see there now an option to 'Pet' the duck. I mean wow! I can enjoy the experience of petting a virtual duck. Does he poop little gold turds for my special petting treatment? Apparently not. It’s completely pointless but hey.. you get to pet a horse or a cow or a duck. Bet you never thought you could ever experience that huh!

Last but by no means least Subject C:

(This is where Farmville steals my dignity at one point. It reminded me of what I really am. A blue eyed, balding bloke in my skibbies)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go harvest my crops and pet my horses.


7 comments:

  1. I have the same problem. I am in love with the stupid game and now worried that my non-Farmville friends are going to have to defriend me just so they won't have to see my stupid posts. I think we may need some sort of Farmville Anonymous group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently there is a facebook page dedicated to likes of us. It's called FAA

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/FAA-Farmville-Addicts-Anonymous/128092928880

    I thought my non farmville friends were resenting the wonderful invitations and free gift reminders but most of them seemed to have simply blocked the application. So no the don't hate me.. yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude please add me in farmvill facebook
    my name Predrag Ristić

    ReplyDelete
  4. can i add you on facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, i went a little further and used my husband's facebook to secretly play farmville!
    he doesnt use facebook or have many friends, so both our dignities were safe :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Falaxy, how are you dealing with not being able to expand much? I remember the days when I would spam invite all my friends. Some eventually deleted me off facebook. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete