Saturday, August 8, 2009

Happy History

You know when you hear an old familiar tune. Something you use to listen to repeatedly until it became so unbearable even the thought gave you a migraine? Well the Goo Goo Dolls had a song 'Iris'. It was from the OST of City of Angels. I hadn't seen the movie at that time but I saw the video on MTV and I distinctly remember falling in love. I'm pretty sure that had something to do with the constant surge of hormones. We're talking about late 1998. I was a teenager. A raging, hormonal teenager I might add. I was in love with being in love. It was a very unadulterated emotion.

I listen to Pandora at work and was expecting the likes of The Notwist or even The Knife, so I was shocked where I heard the all-too-familiar riff of 'Iris'. It was so unexpected, so wonderfully familiar, so joyous, I was shocked at how shocked at I was. Yes it’s a vicious loop. A thought hit me as I revelled in feeling like a hormonal tween again. If this is how it feels like to reminisce the past, then 10 years from now I will think of today as a distance past. Today we are making history with our actions and favorite songs. How bizarre. I mean it’s not like I wasn't always aware of this but it’s a whole different feeling to understand it in a moment of epiphany. I was enlightening myself with this revelation. A part of me thinks that it could be a by-product of extreme boredom at work but I like to think that the wheels in my head were finally turning or something nice like that.

On a different note, last night I made a montage for my girl friends. These two women are the rocks in my life. When everything falls apart, they are the ones who slap me to my senses. I'll admit I was teary eyed making it, but it made me realize how lucky I truly am. People spend their entire lives and never even come close to the bond us girls have.

I've never done anything like this before so it's rough but it has a lot of heart. This particular song is by Coldplay and it’s called ‘Strawberry Swing’. Doesn’t it make you smile inside?




2 comments:

  1. love lvoe love it!
    *hugggggssss*

    Thank God for great friends!
    No clue what we'd do without them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if it weren't for friends, I would have given up a long time ago..

    *HUGS*
    x

    ReplyDelete